SERVER – Your Favorite Restaurant
(June 2011 – The Rest of My God-Forsaken Life)
- Provided prompt, friendly customer service to people who enjoy pretending I’m uneducated.
- Successfully applied skills such as operating a soda fountain or being looked directly through like a ghost or a hesitation for eight hours a day.
- Oh, you’d like another side of chipotle mayo for your medium rare heart attack, sir. Absolutely.
BARISTA – That Trendy Place That Is Overpriced
(August 2009 – June 2011)
- Demonstrated excellent personal control when asked if I knew how atrociously expensive our cookies are or why in the hell are we out of bagels.
- Endured the ever-present mating dance common to men who just don’t get it and young women who are stuck behind a counter. No, I don’t want to talk to you. They pay me to talk to you.
- Where I learned how to fake everything.
- We are out of bagels because you probably sinned today.
NANNY – Damn, Your Kid is Cute
(The Night He Was Born – August 2009)
- Successfully rocked your son to sleep in my arms 274 times. Taught him sign language. Supervised his first shower when he was six months old. I remember braving his tiny body against my own, feeling his heartbeat like a fragile insect. I guided his hand in and out from under the water and for the first time, I saw—
- Had to constantly remind myself that he was not and will never be my baby.
- And yet, it is almost impossible to train your heart heel like a good dog.
POET – At First, I Hated That Word
(since the beginning – when I have nothing else to say)
- So, what are your poems like?
- What exactly are you going to do with an English degree?
- Poetry is dead.
- I don’t get it.
- You seem really angry.
- Are you, like, always sad?
- So you actually make money at this?
- This: what makes my heart wake up and wake up and
- the only tattoo I was born with
- the only language I am fluent in
- what I pray to
- what I pray with
- from beginning
- to end
- it was never
- a choice
- Sierra DeMulder
welp, it’s been awhile. maybe I should start posting on this thing again?
god, it’s incredible how you can just listen to one song for the first time in over two years and suddenly you feel like you’re this sobbing wreck of an eighteen-year-old again, wondering what you can do to make him give a fuck about you again.